Navigation

Crochet Circle

Sunday 11 September 2016

Sugar n Cream Crochet Rug

Sugar n Cream is a soft, yet durable cotton yarn that comes in a whole range of colours and blends. I used it to make a crochet basket and loved it. Now I wanted to try it on a larger project and I love crochet rugs. As a thicker yarn it seemed perfect for a rug and as I needed a new rug for my bedroom and wanted something soft on my feet I chose sugar n Cream yarn. I chose the colours to match my bedroom and made it an oblong design.


 I chose 6 different colours so there was a lot of colour going on!  It made sense then to keep the stitches simple, too complicated and they would be lost. I used trebles (dc’s) in bands of 3 rows for each of my colour selections with some colours repeating. Then I split these bands with a row of 1 chain spaces between.

This is how I planned the stripes.
Drawing in here... Starting and finishing with green which is a slightly darker shade than the green of my bedroom curtains. Then I added repeating stripes of pink,  green, cream, one band of a colour blend and one band of yellow. The finished rug looked good.

I love to give my crochet a ‘wow’ so I wanted something else to make it special. I looked at edgings and tassels which take a huge amount of yarn and would look too fussy and detract from the main design. Searching pinterest for inspiration I came across some crochet cushions with wiggle stitches and I loved them. These stitches are made by crocheting on top of a foundation crochet mesh of 1 chain spaces.

I could see how using the wiggle stitches in the one chain rows I had created would work, look very unusual and lift the design. Looking at the rug I could see the pink, which is the prominent colour of my bedroom, was not prominent enough. So I used pink for the wiggle after first trying the darker green which gave a very different effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment