Navigation

Crochet Circle

Sunday 22 January 2017

Tea cosy Story

The carnation is the flower for January. It represents love, fascination and distinction. Carnations  are such pretty flowers and thanks to modern growing techniques come in a whole variety of colours  including some with very attractive frilly edges. I made a hair decoration with my carnation flower design but it would also  look lovely as part of a corsage or added to a flower wreath.

I decided to add the crochet carnations to a tea cosy and I created the design for the cosy in a slightly different way. It’s made on the horizontal to create a pretty effect from the bands of raised stitches, This makes it easier to adapt the pattern for different tea pot sizes! Simply add more rows to make a taller cosy and start with more chains to make a wider cosy. 5 more chains make about half an inch.

It’s an easy pattern to make and you can make this tea pot with pom poms or hearts if you prefer.
Tea cosies are very English and very traditional! Once visiting France we took a teapot and cosy as we knew neither would be available in the holiday gite we stayed. The French owners clearly thought us very eccentric when they unexpectedly called.

I returned to one of my favourite yarns Sirdar Snuggly double knit, it’s soft and strong and comes in a range of colours. I like it because it is reliable, the quality is always the same and it crochets easily.
I wanted to create a ridge effect and a chunkier finish after all its purpose is to act as insulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment